Y’all are trash and I am NOT here for you dragging an ally #blackoutuesday #BlackLivesMatter pic.twitter.com/Gbs5W3gpVg, I will not tolerate Emma Watson slander on my timeline. The Beauty and the ... Watson is a UN Women Goodwill Ambassador who helped launch the HeForShe ... a look at the powerful female voices who have spoken out for women's rights … Daniel Radcliffe, For every one of our young people who found hope and comfort in those stories, the friendship and kindness you and Daniel have shown over the last 24hrs helps to keep the magic alive…

Defenders were quick to point out Watson has frequently used her Instagram account to highlight Black creators and activists.

© 2020 Guardian News & Media Limited or its affiliated companies. And that I could really have heard it, and believed it. Many wondered when Watson, 30, would do the same, considering she has long been an advocate for trans equality. ©2020 Verizon Media. It was a startling contrast to Watson, who has been using her social media in recent days to consistently platform Black voices and issues. “And that I could really have heard it, and believed it. Today is National Voter Registration Day! Rowling, once known for her stoop-sitter approach to trans topics, has now become a strident commentator, prompting film stars Daniel Radcliffe and Eddie Redmayne to disavow the writer. The actor Emma Watson has urged women to understand their rights as she launched a legal advice line for those experiencing sexual harassment at work. Emma Watson's Trio of Blackout Tuesday Squares Brings Backlash. On top of being a women’s rights advocate and Hollywood star, Emma Watson has been a tabloid target for most of her life. Don't talk about aesthetic when your fav never address issues on their Instagram. She also pledged to Mama Cash, the oldest international feminist fund. Harry Potter, The actor Emma Watson has urged women to understand their rights as she launched a legal advice line for those experiencing sexual harassment at … I really wish someone had told me this when I was 13 years old.

“We know that complaints of sexual harassment at work are still frequently responded to in a gendered manner that is negative, undermining or can lead to victimisation. Emma's whole feed is giving voice to minorities.

Donations from members of the public, including Watson, helped to kickstart the advice line, which is backed by Time’s Up UK’s justice and equality fund, and managed by Rosa, the UK Fund for Women and Girls.

Tap here to turn on desktop notifications to get the news sent straight to you.

The Harry Potter star and Time’s Up UK activist said it was “completely staggering” that the free helpline for women in England and Wales was the only service of its type. I want my trans followers to know that I and so many other people around the world see you, respect you and love you for who you are.

Following the initial controversy, Watson added two more posts to her Instagram feed, one including artwork and a poem by Black painter Fahamu Pecou. Advice is provided by the charity Rights of Women. “People are still growing up believing that they are a problem. Emma has been uplifting black voices for years when it wasn’t a trend. Watson wrote that she had been “holding off posting until #blackouttuesday ended in the UK” and would devote future space on social media to sharing anti-racism resources.

Watson said: “Understanding what your rights are, how you can assert them and the choices you have if you’ve experienced harassment is such a vital part of creating safe workplaces for everyone, and this advice line is such a huge development in ensuring that all women are supported, wherever we work.”.

That is why Rights of Women will also work towards dismantling the underlying structural problems that puts the burden on victims and makes it difficult for women to come forward through its policy work.”, Available for everyone, funded by readers, Male-dominated boards due to lack of flexible working and unconscious bias, report finds, Progress rate ‘disheartening’, says expert as 2014-17 figure is small improvement on 2006-09, Airline says crew can work without makeup but must follow chosen palette if they do.
All rights reserved. this shit ain't addin up sis — AOS S7 SPOILERS | ᵇˡᵐ natalie rushman lovebot (@widowsquake) June 2, 2020 Social media users accused the actor of prioritizing her Instagram aesthetic, while others argued that the star's history of activism made her an ally. Trans, She said: “This advice line’s purpose is to empower women to exercise their legal rights in the workplace.

UK energy companies fail to promote women to executive roles, Female authors listed on just 30% of recent UK academic research, Big firms lying about female and minority directors, says top business chief, Virgin Atlantic drops mandatory makeup for female cabin crew, Only six countries in the world give women and men equal legal work rights, Asda shopworkers win landmark ruling in equal pay dispute, UAE's gender equality awards won entirely by men, The sexism in surgery is shocking – from 'banter' to discrimination. The campaign is part of their #theshowmustbepaused initiative “in response to the murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery and countless other Black citizens at the hands of police,” according to a message on the movement’s website.

The Blackout Tuesday campaign, which encourages people to post black squares to Instagram, was created by music executives Jamila Thomas and Brianna Agyemang. “As the parent of a trans child I thank you from the bottom of my heart for speaking out in support of trans lives,” one user wrote. Sign up for membership to become a founding member and help shape HuffPost's next chapter, Register to vote and apply for an absentee ballot today. Emma Watson was named a United Nations Women Goodwill Ambassador earlier this summer.
In her role as the UN Women Goodwill Ambassador, she spoke about how impossible it is to achieve equality of the sexes if only one sex participates in the fight:

Despite the campaign’s objective, multiple voices on social media pointed out that many people had used the hashtag #BlackLivesMatter when posting the black squares, inadvertently covering up information related to donations and the struggles of Black Americans during the ongoing protests in the United States.