Either we prevent 1.5C of warming or we don’t. A very dangerous lie. Can You Solve the World's Tiniest Official Rubik's Cube? Transcript: Greta Thunberg's Speech At The U.N. And even they had not given up. The bigger your platform, the bigger your responsibility. I am here to say our house is on fire. / AFP / JIM WATSON, The EU Commission shows European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen (L) meeting US President Donald Trump during the annual meeting of the World Economic Forum 2020 in Davos, Switzerland, January 21 2020.

“With today’s emissions levels, the remaining budget is gone in less than eight years,” she said. In her eight-and-a-half minute speech (above), Thunberg told attendees of the annual gathering—which included presidents, billionaire CEOs, and award-winning journalists, among others—that “Any plan or policy of yours that doesn’t include radical emission cuts at the source, starting today, is completely insufficient for meeting the 1.5 or well-below-2-degree [Celsius] commitments of the Paris Agreement.” She added that from the perspective of environmental sustainability, world leaders from across the political spectrum “have all failed” in their charge of tackling “the climate… emergency and [creating] a cohesive and sustainable world.”. I want you to panic.

Planting trees is good, of course, but it’s nowhere near enough of what needs to be done, and it cannot replace real mitigation or rewilding nature. We demand that at this year’s World Economic Forum participants from all companies, banks, institutions and governments: We don’t want these things done by 2050, 2030 or even 2021, we want this done now. If you are not a current Alpha. People are not aware that there is such a thing as a carbon budget, and just how incredibly small that remaining carbon budget is. Read more: https://t.co/j80IqPOt2T@TIME #howtosavetheplanet #wef20 pic.twitter.com/NwHFHtBjXP, — World Economic Forum (@wef) January 21, 2020, Although much of Thunberg’s speech focused on criticizing the major producers of carbon emissions, she also took the media task.
Available for everyone, funded by readers. Can You Solve the World’s Tiniest Official Rubik’s Cube? Climate crisis tops list of economic and financial risks ahead of Davos 2020. We can create transformational action that will safeguard the living conditions for future generations. “But science isn’t at the centre of the conversation, and it needs to be,” she said. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst. Greta Thunberg has kicked off the first day of talks at Davos with a plea to put science at the centre of the conversation on the climate crisis, not her. Some say we should not engage in activism. At places like Davos, people like to tell success stories. But Homo sapiens have not yet failed. Greta Thunberg has kicked off the first day of talks at Davos with a plea to put science at the centre of the conversation on the climate crisis, not her. That is as black or white as it gets. We will fix this, we promise we won’t let you down.”. Davos 2020: The latest news and events from the World Economic Forum, Davos pushes ‘greener’ fuel for private jets leaving World Economic Forum, Davos 2020: Key events at the 50th World Economic Forum. © 2020 Guardian News & Media Limited or its affiliated companies. Read the Swedish climate activist's speech to the World Economic Forum 2020. The Swedish teenager referenced the 2018 IPCC report on climate change which warned of the shrinking time-frame required in which to keep the global temperature rise to below 1.5 per cent. Sorry, there was a problem with your subscription.

Instead we should leave everything to our politicians and just vote for a change instead. But that is a lie. Nor do we have the time to wait for new technological solutions to become available to start drastically reducing our emissions. Adults keep saying: “We owe it to the young people to give them hope.” But I don’t want your hope. “People are more aware now,” she said. I don’t want you to be hopeful. It seems money and growth are our only main concerns. I’ve been warned that telling people to panic about the climate crisis is a very dangerous thing to do. And again — this is not about right or left. Now is the time to speak clearly. No political ideology or economic structure has been able to tackle the climate and environmental emergency and create a cohesive and sustainable world. I want you to feel the fear I feel every day. Because, in case you haven’t noticed, that world is currently on fire. Immediately halt all investments in fossil fuel exploration and extraction. Thunberg called for members of the forum to “immediately halt all investments in fossil fuel exploration and extraction, immediately end all fossil fuel subsidies, and immediately and completely divest from fossil fuels.” In terms of a timeline, she said that these changes shouldn’t be made in decades or even in 2021, but should be done now. “It feels like the climate and environment is a hot topic now, thanks to young people pushing.”, Donald Trump v Greta Thunberg: US President and teenage climate change campaigner set to dominate Davos.

We are still telling you to panic, and to act as if you loved your children above all else. Let’s be clear. But what do we do when there is no political will? REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst, U.S. President Donald Trump listens to FIFA President Gianni Infantino speak during a dinner with global CEOs during the 50th World Economic Forum (WEF) annual meeting in Davos, Switzerland, January 21, 2020. No other current challenge can match the importance of establishing a wide, public awareness and understanding of our rapidly disappearing carbon budget, that should and must become our new global currency and the very heart of our future and present economics. Or we can continue with our business as usual and fail. And then I want you to act. At this year’s World Economic Forum (WEF) in Davos, Switzerland, climate activist Greta Thunberg told corporate leaders, politicians, economists, and journalists, that “Our house is still on fire.” Thunberg, who’s castigated world leaders at public forums many times before, continued to harshly criticize them for failing to halt carbon emissions in any significant way.