These steps have saved a lot of us – The Harbor Area preserves historical information regarding the beginnings of A.A. in the Harbor Area and background information of the various groups and meetings that are, or have been, in existence. 40 SOBER YEARS LATER I’M STILL HERE WITH NO SUCH MISGIVINGS. In human terms, the achievements of Alcoholics Anonymous stand out as one of the few encouraging developments of a rather grim and destructive half century.

Dr Bob's Beard Tonic is a hand crafted 100% natural mixture of base and essential oils designed to tame the angriest of beards.

Bill W. had met a kindred spirit in Dr. Bob. Rather it defined the condition as a disease, which could never be cured but could be successfully managed. According to the Alcoholics Anonymous website, Bill W. called various people and was eventually introduced to an Akron surgeon, forever to be remembered simply as "Dr. If it had been December of 1935 instead of 1934, as he stated, he would have been the 2nd sober member, and that date would mark the founding of the fellowship, instead of 10 June of that same year, which was the date of Dr. Bob Smith’s last drink. There are numerous ways you can be of service to the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous in the Harbor Area. My first first drink was hard cider from a stash, age 15. Then, in March, the Post published “Alcoholics Anonymous” by Jack Alexander and introduced this unusual program to the rest of America. Few articles in the Post had the impact of “Alcoholics Anonymous," which prompted 6,000 letters to the Post editors and sparked national interest in the program. After losing the proxy fight, Bill found himself alone and depressed, according to accounts of the events. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others. Fighting desperately to maintain his sobriety, his immediate reaction was, "I've got to find another alcoholic.". This is share with a f, Only 4 days left! He purchased more alcohol on the way to the train depot. But after the publication in 1939 of the group's "textbook", Alcoholics Anonymous, and the publication of a series of articles about the group in the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the A.A. rapidly developed, and the membership in the Cleveland group soon grew to 500. It now appears that the date of Dr. Bob's last drink was probably on, or about, June 17, 1935. Alcoholics Anonymous should remain forever non-professional, but our service centers may employ special workers. Robert Holbrook Smith (August 8, 1879 – November 16, 1950), also known as Dr. Bob, was an American physician and surgeon who founded Alcoholics Anonymous with Bill Wilson (more commonly known as Bill W.), and a nurse, Sister Ignatia. Many take their first day sober as their Sobriety date. Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, and films. Dr. Bob died Nov. 16, 1950, and Bill W. passed on Jan. 24, 1971, but the legacy they left behind continues to touch the lives of millions. SIGNED & NUMBERED Mardi Gras Throw Pendant, New Orleans Folk Art by DR. BOB. Between 1935 and ’36, he worked with a physician (and fellow alcoholic) to create a new approach to ending their addiction to drink. Iain F. Bill and Bob, they started it all, Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it. A number for Alcoholics Anonymous can be found in the white pages of virtually every local telephone directory. Together they created a program called Alcoholics Anonymous, which Wilson described in a book that he wrote under the pseudonym of “Bill W.”.

She remembered previous ones where he had gotten drunk. Bill was 6 months sober at the time therefore Bills anniversary date should be Dec 11, 1934 not 1935 as the article states. Attached to the re-telling of the story by Mitchell K is a review of the 1935 AMA Convention published by the AMA on June 22, 1935. In the second paragraph it is noted that the convention started on Monday, June 10th. Hey, we did it! Through their friendship, Dr. Bob also gained sobriety.

It took four years to get the first 100 participants sober in the first three groups that formed in Akron, New York, and Cleveland.

Once on the train, Dr. Bob began to drink in earnest. What a great article. Dr. Bob kept his promise to Anne. That is, until he boarded the train to Atlantic City. There was a five-day period from when Dr. Bob left for the convention to when the nurse called Anne and Bill. I’ve been sober for 37 years in recovery I got to know Lois Wilson by my understanding it was actually ebby Thatcher who brought the message of recovery to bill before he met dr. Bob through the Oxford program. [Yet] to anyone who has ever been a drunk or who has had to endure the alcoholic cruelties of a drunk —and that would embrace a large portion of the human family — 90,000 alcoholics reconverted into working citizens represent a massive dose of pure gain. They tapered Dr. Bob off of alcohol and fed him a diet of sauerkraut, tomato juice, and Karo Syrup.
But of all the remarkable aspects of the program, the most important was its success. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all. The effective desire, they state, must be based upon enlightened self-interest; the applicant must want to get away from liquor to head off incarceration or premature death.

The most important thing in my life is my sobriety for without it I would have been dead many years ago. Maybe the date should be changed to reflect historical accuracy? For our group purpose, there is but one ultimate authority—a loving God as He may express Himself in our group conscience. Without AA I would have never had an open mind to accepting a spiritual way of life. A day does not go by that I remember how I used to act vs. how I act and think today. Each group has but one primary purpose: to carry its message to the alcoholic who still suffers.